Mitsubishi Lancer Owners Manual
Selector lever operation
The CVT selects an optimum gear ratio automatically, depending on the speed of the vehicle and the position of the accelerator pedal.
The selector lever (A) has 2 gates; the main gate (B) and the manual gate (C).
► Always depress the brake pedal when shifting the selector lever into the
other position from the “P” (PARK) or “N” (NEUTRAL) position.
Never put your foot on the accelerator pedal while shifting the selector lever from the “P” (PARK) or “N” (NEUTRAL) position.
► To avoid erroneous operation, move the selector lever firmly into each position
and briefly hold it there. Always check the position shown by the selector lever
position display after moving the selector lever.
► If the brake pedal is not depressed and held, the shift-lock device activates to prevent the selector lever from being moved from the “P” (PARK) position.
When the selector lever cannot be shifted from the “P” (PARK) position
When the selector lever cannot be shifted from the “P” (PARK) position to another position while the brake pedal is pressed and held down with the ignition switch at the “ON” position, the battery may be flat or the shift-lock mechanism may be malfunctioning.
Immediately have your vehicle checked by a MITSUBISHI MOTORS Authorized Service Point.
If you need to move the vehicle, shift the selector lever as follows.
1. Make sure the parking brake is applied.
2. Stop the engine if it is running.
3. Insert a straight blade (or minus) screwdriver with a cloth over its tip into notch (A) or the cover. Pry gently as shown to remove the cover.
4. Depress the brake pedal with the right foot.
5. Turn the ignition switch to the “ACC” position.
► For vehicles with the keyless operation system, turn the ignition switch to the “ACC” position with the emergency key if the vehicle battery is flat.
6. Insert a straight blade (or minus) screwdriver in the shiftlock release hole (B). Shift the selector lever to the “N” (NEUTRAL) position while pressing the straight blade (or minus) screwdriver down.