Mitsubishi Lancer Owners Manual
Starting the engine (diesel-powered vehicles)
[For vehicles equipped with keyless operation system]
For information on operations for vehicles equipped with the keyless operation system, refer to “Keyless operation system: Starting” on pages 1-17, 1-20.
[Except vehicles equipped with keyless operation system]
1. Insert the ignition key and fasten the seat belt.
2. Make sure the parking brake is applied.
3. Depress and hold the brake pedal.
4. Fully depress the clutch pedal.
► On vehicles with the Auto Stop & Go (AS&G) system, the starter will not operate unless the clutch pedal is fully depressed (Clutch interlock).
5. Place the gearshift lever in the “N” (Neutral) position.
6. Turn the ignition key to the “ON” position.
The diesel preheat indication lamp will first illuminate, and then after a short time go out, indicating that preheating is completed.
► If the engine is cold, the diesel preheat indication lamp is on for a longer
► When the engine has not been started within about 5 seconds after the diesel preheat indication lamp went out, return the ignition key
to the “LOCK” position. Then, turn the key to the “ON” position to preheat the engine again.
► When the engine is warm, the diesel preheat indication lamp does not come on even if the ignition key is placed in the “ON” position.
Start the engine by turning the ignition key right to the “START” position.
7. Turn the ignition key to the “START” position without depressing the accelerator pedal, and release it when the engine starts.
► Minor noises may be heard on engine startup.
These will disappear as the engine warms up.
Using the MIVEC engine
The MIVEC engine automatically controls valve timing in accordance with driving conditions for maximum engine performance.
► To protect the engine, the high-speed mode may not be selected while the engine coolant temperature is low.